||Established in 1865,
it was first called Quinn River Camp No. 33 (on the East Fork)
then renamed in honor of military District Commander Lt. Col.
Charles McDermitt, who was killed by Indians. Typically, the
fort consisted of several adobe, stone and frame buildings surrounding
a square. Its purpose was to protect the Virginia City-Quinn
River Valley-Oregon Road. Twenty-four years of operation made
it the longest active Army fort in Nevada. Its troops participated
in the Modoc War and the Bannock and Shoshone Indian troubles.
It was the last of the Nevada Army posts in service when converted
into an Indian reservation school in 1889.