Nevada Rock Art Geocaching Historical Markers

Historical Marker #30

Located at the intersection of South Virginia and Pine Streets in Reno, Nevada.


The first Europeans in the Reno area—the Stevens-Murphy party—passed through the Truckee Meadows near Washo and Paiute Indian camping sites and winter villages and over Donner Pass in 1844.

With increased travel by 1859, C.W. Fuller established "Fullers's Ferry," a small lodging house, ferry and bridge at the site which would become the center of Reno. M.C. Lake bought the property in 1863, and it became known as "Lake's Crossing." When officials of the newly built Central Pacific Railroad platted the town around the central plaza where the station stood, it was called "End of the Track." Chosen by railroad officials, the town's permanent name honors a slain Civil War officer, General Jesse Reno.

Growth was rapid due to railroad activity and continued development of the nearby Comstock mines. Reno became the county seat in 1871, incorporated in 1876, but did not draw up a charter or hold elections until 1903.

In 1906 the wife of a prominent U.S. industrialist came to Reno for a divorce. The resulting publicity started the city's divorce reputation. Tourism increased, and a new industry was established when gambling was legalized in 1931.

Notes on this marker:

Easy to miss as there is no parking anywhere close.

Previous Marker # ][ State of Nevada ][ County Markers ][ Next Marker #